American Lit

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The idea of order is whack!

I experienced an epiphany today via Steven's "The Idea of Order at Key West"... or rather the process I underwent as I struggled to find meaning in it. In the end I came to regard this poem as a celebration of the capabilities of the human mind. This conclusion was reached after an afternoon of extensive analyzing and contemplation of life.
My initial reading of the assigned poem yeilded nothing. As I read it several times over I still recieved nothing more from it than what was audible. There was an interpretive barrier between me and the poem, and I could not construct meaning from it. In my frustration I browsed through other logs trying to see what my peers were taking from this work. I didn't gain any insight, only a feeling of inadequacy that I couldn't construct meaning from something that was being hailed by so many of my classmates.
I layed in bed, immersed in that inadequacy, and started to doze off when "order" hit me... out of nowhere I grasped it, something about that word "order" incited understanding in me. I understood "The Idea of Order at Key West". Simultaneously, I acknowledged a truth about life and people I'd never given thought to. It was all contained in this poem, one of the most important "readings" I've ever formed from a literary work.
I was killing the spirit of this poem by trying to find order in it... like there was a code to be deciphered through which meaning would be revealed. Then, I guess, I remembered why I am an English major: because my mind does not work mathematically or scientifically. I was trying to gain meaning through this poem logically. No wonder that search yeilded nothing. There is no logical exlanation underlying poetry... thank God.
Poetry is passion unleashed, it is "words chosen out of desire", a song about life.. and we know that life and human emotion, in all it's fervor, does not adhere to any sort of logical explanation. Likewise, meaning in poetry is complex and evasive- not something determined by a formula. It's never that easy to pinpoint our feelings! The logic of life is highly illogical, and half the time, we don't know how one thing leads to another. We just get "carried away" I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home