American Lit

Thursday, September 21, 2006

She sang... Divinity

In all the hype of the epiphany I experienced yesterday, I neglected to talk about the meaning I uncovered in "The Idea of Order at Key West". I guess I was so caught up in the insights I formed while attempting to find meaning in the work that I devoted my entire post to those discoveries. But the meaning I found in Steven's words is just as important to me as what I gained from the struggle I underwent trying to find it. I'm excited to talk about it, so ... guess I'll have to post twice on the same poem...
I think the sea is a just one example of a powerful image; something that evokes inspiration in the artist. In this instance, the sea spoke to her, and she sung of it. What's amazing (and eerie) about life is the way we continually find symbolism in so many facets of the ordinary. I would liken this poem to an elaboration of that phrase "it struck a chord in me" . The image of the powerful sea literally struck a chord in her, it moved her to song. And I am aware that the "she" being referred to here is an idea, not an actual woman (though Steven's considers this idea to be feminine in nature...hmm....). She is the artist, her song is inspired by the symbol of the sea. It is this aspect of us that has the potential to be moved, and to take that movement, that inspiration, and create something beautiful, something divine. Her song captures the spirt of the powerful image of the sea that she is observing, but it is something higher than the image, inspired. Inspiration is divine! And she created it, and thus we create it.
We need a voice to do justice to the beauty around us. And beauty is everywhere. And art is the voice, and we are the artists. And when it all plays out, art inspires us to look at the life in a new light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home