American Lit

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Invisibility

I just got through the introduction of "Invisible Man". It is possible I could have it read in time for class tuesday because i'm intrigued. That is provided I don't have to keep stopping to get all analytical, like I am now. But I thought I'd get in a quick blog about this extended metaphor of invisibility I am so intrigued by. How scary it is that maybe we're all invisible to eachother because what we like in others is only a reflection of what we like in ourselves, and what we dislike in others match the things that we hate about ourselves. Or vice versa. But either way we can only experience eachother insofar as we know ourselves. You are the only person you really see. Everything we take in we can only understand when applied to ourselves. Like the fact that I'm excited about reading this book because I can really identify with this feeling of being invisible to others. It's because of this truth that we are so limited in our capacity to go beyond ourselves. I've gotten so depressed in the past in being aware of this even though it is the human condition and can't be helped. Well, right now I'm just really relieved that Ellison took that concept and metamorphised (does that work?) it into an entire novel that I get to read for this class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home