American Lit

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Poetry the subject?

So I'm trying to wrap my mind around this idea and convey it in words. Something that makes sense in my head but is proving difficult to articulate. And the best way for me to begin explaining it is with this quote I've written down on several occasions sitting in class because it always rings so true that I forget I've heard it before. "The truth is beside the point". Truth doesn't matter because truth is different for everyone based on their own perception of reality. Poetry does not claim to be truth (how refreshing!) because poetry is not truth, poetry is poetry: it is concerned with perception, not reality. It creates a fiction, the mind needs to create a fiction. The truth is beside the point. Poetry is a way of "ordering" the world around us as we percieve it; poetry is an attempt to describe life. In poetry what is being described is what is being percieved. Description=Perception (there's that mathematical logic again. I feel pressured!) Well, poetry is the subject of the poem. Steven's said it better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home